Sunday, October 27, 2013

Christmas Every Monday - Part 4

 
Welcome to the fourth and final week of Christmas Every Monday.
 
Today, we are working with burlap. 
 
First up are burlap holly leaves:
 
You will need:
 
Burlap
Old Book Pages
Red Ball Fringe
Jute Rope
Sewing Machine
Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
 
These are a take off on my burlap and paper pumpkins I did last month.  They are super quick and easy.
 
 
First, cut out your holly leave from the book page.  I just free handed mine and it measured approximately 6" long x 3" wide.  Pin with a straight pin onto two layers of burlap.  You need to do this to keep the burlap from shifting. 
 
Machine stitch the edges of the holly book page and down the center of the holly leaf.  Then cut out leaving a margin around the edge of the burlap.
 
Hot glue jute rope to the back at the top of each piece.  Then cut three pom poms off of the ball fringe for each holly leaf and hot glue at the top where the jute is.
 
These would be cute on a door knob, for a package decoration and a lot of things.
 
Next:
 
 
Burlap Banded Pillow
 
You will need:
 
6" strip of Burlap
Pillow of your choice
Stencil
Acrylic Paint
Sponge
 
Use a pillow you already have that is a plain color.  You can use any color at all.  I had this plain beige pillow that was a 15" square. 
 
Cut your burlap 6" x 31".  You will adjust this to your pillow size.  If you had a 14" pillow, you would cut it 6" x 29".  In other words, cut it where it will go around your pillow in one piece and add an inch for a seam.  Got it???
 
 
Pull the threads on your burlap making a fringe of about 1/4". Then, seam up the 6" side of the burlap strip.  Turn it inside out and press.  Then, stencil whatever you want on the front of the burlap band.  You will naturally want your seam on the center back.
 
Then, just slip the burlap band over your pillow and adjust to your liking.  Just think, you could do Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentines, etc. with just a different band of fabric.  You don't have to use burlap, but if you use anything else, you'll need to hem the long edges.
 
Next:
 
 
Burlap Gift Mitten
 
You will need:
 
Burlap
Lace
Christmas greenery and berries
Ribbon for hanger
Sewing Machine
Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
 
Start by drawing out your mitten shape.  Mine was approximately 5" wide x 7" long.  Machine stitch around the burlap in about 1/4" from the edge. 
 
 
Now, add a hanger with ribbon.
 
 
Then, gather lace and hot glue across the top.  I just added some Christmas greenery and berries to top it all off. 
 
These would make very nice neighbors' gifts filled with candy canes, or cookies.
 
 
Bella has an announcement!!
 
Make any item that we have done during this series and email us a photo to tt2jclark@sbcglobal.net.
 
Then, on November 10th, we will have a drawing and the winner will receive a package of Christmas goodies!  These will include some handmade items as well as other goodies.  You may enter as many times as you want, but it has to be a different item each time!  OK!
 
Go get busy!
 
Enjoy!
 
Till next time, Judy
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

24 comments:

  1. What cute crafts! I have some burlap scraps and I might try one of these!!
    Thanks Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are my favorites. I really want to make them. Thanks for sharing all your ideas with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute. I will try to make some of them myself. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your ideas..Inspiring..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great crafts and they look so easy. They would make great gifts for neighbors or friends. Thanks so much for sharing Judy.
    Bella looks like a great helper.
    Have a great week and hope the babies and husband are doing well.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for following me. I love your ideas. I love burlap, but can't even sew on a button. My mama was a great seamstress. I envy you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like everything here, and Bella looks like she is getting into the spirit of things, too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. too cute, judy! bella looks ready for santa-sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful ideas! I am getting excited to decorate for Christmas! I love your burlap creations, so cute! Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all these...so so cute.
    I hope you have crafts for us Christmas of 2014 because THIS year, I am sure I'll never, EVER find time to craft. All that's on my mind is UNPACKING BOXES...and the next thing is WHERE TO PUT IT ALL. :))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these cute ideas. One question -how do you keep the hot glue from sealing he top of the mitten when you glue the lace trim on the top edge?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these cute ideas. One question -how do you keep the hot glue from sealing he top of the mitten when you glue the lace trim on the top edge?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the hessian/burlap leaves Judy! How do you prevent the edges from fraying??

    ReplyDelete
  14. very cute I have been in the mood to create but still trying to declutter my house by having another yard sale
    hopefully this winter I can drag out the sewing machine and make some things as cute as yours

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Judy, Love your creations. You are one talented girl!!
    Thank you for sharing your great directions.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute projects! I really like the burlap holly leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Judy, you do the best work! Love that pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these adorable Christmas ideas, Judy! You have so many great projects.....I really love the burlap holly leaves and must have a try at some!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Judy, you've got me very excited about Christmas this year and I can't possibly start decorating this early! Maybe I'll try making some things. You have such wonderful ideas. xo J

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just saw these holly leaves featured on Cozy Little House. I love them, Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah! Love the burlap holly tags. So cute,
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
  22. Judy,

    You are just ONE super crafty lady, who never stops creating! LOVE the burlap gift mitten for its sweet red berries and lacy border! Filled with candy canes or other Christmas trinkets, I'm sure it would be appreciated by all who are destined to receive it!

    Great tutorial! Thank you!

    xo
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  23. All the ideas are cute, but I really love the burlap and book page holly. I am pinning that to my to do list.

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...