Saturday, September 20, 2014

My Love of Painting


Besides sewing, my other love in life is painting.  When John and I were newly married, he worked long hours and Johnny had started to school.  I had always worked and was at a loss as to what to do with my time.  John really wanted me to stay home because we had moved to a new state and Johnny was just starting school.  So, I said ok - will give it a try.

I have never once wanted to go back to a full time job.  I did my arts and crafts, interior design work, etc. when and if I wanted to.  I have always loved art and received a full scholarship to college in art and also received an offer to go to work in KC for Hallmark cards.  But, I wanted to get married and have a family.

Back to paragraph one.  I took up Tole painting as a hobby and was really hooked. 

The above painting of violets is Tole painting.  You have a distinct pattern and the teacher shows you every step of the way to paint the pattern.  I loved it!

We moved to Tulsa and I started taking art lessons and before long, I was teaching beginning Tole classes.

At that point, Tole was done in oils.  It slowly progressed into acrylics. 

Then, I decided to take up watercolors - which in my opinion, are the hardest to do.  There's no mistakes in watercolors.  When you put that paint down, it's there to stay. 


Watercolors are most generally, so light and airy.


I painted this of Carmine, our red Doberman Pincher for John.


We had two precious granddaughters move in with us and we raised them.  What a blessing they were.  This was their bedroom door (which I've never repainted).  It is the ME Queen of Everything.  It is very hard to get a picture of because our hallway is rather tight.  I'm standing in the bathroom to take this picture.


This is from the end of the hallway.

I've also painted canvas in oils.  But, that is definitely not my cup of tea.  I did one painting for John one year at Christmas and that was the end of canvas painting for me.

So, just a little insight into my world of painting.

Enjoy!

Judy





31 comments:

  1. All so beautiful! You are so blessed to be able to paint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one of the most talented people I've seen. There is no end to what you can do! You are an inspiration! I just love your work!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your paintings today! Your creativity is amazing. We also raised our granddaughters from ages 8 & 9. They are our blessings & have been honored to raise them for our young daughter who passed at 32. I have enjoyed your blog every day...thank you again for sharing your art and your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, you are so very talented. I am always so jealous of people who can paint like you do. I love that door. If you ever move you will have to take the door with you. I think of you and john often and keep you in my prayers. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, beautiful paintings! What a wonderful talent you have! Have a blessed week ahead dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are such a talented artist, I LOVE LOVE that door!!! They are all amazing, beautiful work,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always enjoyed painting but I am not a pro like you! Love that ME door...she is one of my favorite artists, along with Susan Branch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Judy, you're so very talented. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I believe I love the water colors. The ethereal appearance of the paint on the paper in a finished piece definitely gives no insight to the difficulty you explain - quite the opposite. Thanks for sharing all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy your talents continue to inspire me! Love the painted door! I am a fan of watercolors but I do know they are a hard medium, still they are my favs. Thanks for sharing even more of you incredible talents with us.
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy, I'm so glad you posted some of your paintings. It's so much fun to see another artist's work! I love the ME door. The colors are terrific. As I told you in an email, I too started tole painting in 83 and got totally hooked on it. Now I'm into water colors, and there's days where I feel like I don't have a creative bone in my body when I pick up that brush, they are so different! Have to send you some pics of my children's chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you are even more talented than I though! I used to do the "paint by numbers" on velvet when I was young and enjoyed it so. I've always wanted to paint, and I just signed up for my first class, don't think I'll be anywhere near as good as you! Loved your runners you made, and where ever did you get the fabric with the bird on it? Also love your finds. So glad to know John is back home and doing better. Also so happy to know you can do some "creative" work that you love. Sorry I didn't get to you sooner but we had a garage sale this weekend and what a lot of work that was!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are very talented, and I'm very impressed at your scholarships and offer to work at Hallmark cards! But staying home was probably the most fulfilling choice and I think you are glad now you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. all so beautiful! I'm absolutely in love with that door!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Judy, you are so talented. Beautiful work. Thanks so much for sharing all your lovely paintings with us.
    Hope that John is feeling better.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so talented and such a great artist Judy!! Perhaps one day you will want to do some more, but if not you have some wonderful pieces to look back on. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Judy,
    You are so talented. Your painting is beautiful. Wow you sew and paint. You are so talented. Happy Sunday.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a talent you have! Love the paintings and the door is wonderful!!!! I think I would keep it too!!!!! HAPPY FALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so very talented. Of all the photos of you work in the post, my favorite is the ME door. It's so perfect for two girls and how neat that you never changed it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so talented Judy. I don't blame you one bit for not painting that bedroom door. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have lots of talents. I used to toile paint. I liked the technique. I got pretty good at daisies but that was about it.
    Hope that you and John are doing okay.
    The door is really cute. I didn't know that you raised your granddaughters.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! Your paintings are fantastic!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That door is so precious, so happy to hear that you didn't paint over it. You sure are a talented artist Judy, love the tole painting and all your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are so talented! I would love to be able to paint, but I know my limitations. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a talent you have . . . .i learn a bit mire about you each and every day . . .

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my goodness, Judy...I knew you were very talented with your sewing and crafts, but had no idea you painted, too! These paintings are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Painting is one thing I've always wished I could do..You do it so well Judy..thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your tole painting and watercolors are just lovely, Judy! And I've always been a big fan of ME, so the door you painted for your granddaughters is right up my alley. Darling!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You're so talented Judy! I guess the decision to stay all those years ago was a good one.

    A couple of months ago a local artist gave a free class and I went and had SUCH a good time. We did watercolors and yes, it's one of the hardest mediums to work with, but I was really into it and would love to continue but I've got so many things on my plate right now. It's one of those 'some day' things for me...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...