Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Time Out Chair for the Little Darlings in Your Life!

 
Today, I want to show you how to make a darling little "Time Out Chair".  Now, right off the bat, I need to tell you that this is not for Laynee - she doesn't need a Time Out Chair!
 
This little chair is called a Kritter chair from Ikea.  It sells for $12.99 and comes in bright blue, red, black, white and yellow.
 
 
It comes unassembled but it takes only a short time to put it together.  The reason it is called a Kritter chair???
 
 
The middle slat on the back of the chair has raised kritters - get it?  They are on the front and the back panel.
 
 
What you need for supplies are:
 
Your Kritter Chair
Fabric for Inspiration
Wooden Slats (these come four in a package from Michaels and measure 2 1/2" x 5 1/2" - the perfect size to cover up the Kritters - you will only use two for this project)
Timer (from the Dollar Tree)
Wooden Cut Outs to match fabric
E6000 Glue
Sharpie Permanent Pen in Black
Paint of your choice for the wooden slats
Sewing Machine
Thread
Batting (2 Layers)
 
 
This is the fabric I used for inspiration - a bright jungle print. I found at Michaels (already painted) a zebra cut out, a giraffe and a lion.  Get these cut outs even if they are not your colors you are using.  You can paint them to match your fabric.  I painted the lion's mane red to put some red on the chair.
 
Paint two of the four wooden slats.  I used a bright green to match the back of the print I was using.
 
 
Carefully place the painted wooden slat over the Kritter characters on the front middle slat of the chair.  With the E6000 you can slide it around until you get it where you want it.  Just make sure you leave the chair back laying down flat until the slat is securely dry and holding.  If you sit the chair up, the E6000 will slide. 
 
At this time, you can also glue your wooden cut out (zebra) to the top of the wooden slat.
 
I wrote "Time Out" on the back with a black Sharpie.
 
 
I also used the E6000 to glue the lion and the giraffe on the legs.  Because this is for a small child, make sure you glue it as securely as you can. On the legs, these will get knocked off if sticking out too far on the sides, OK?
 
 
This is the digital timer I used.  They have them in red, dark green and blue at Dollar Tree.  You can find them on the wall of kitchen items for $1.00!  Yea!
 
 
This is what makes this so fun.  Glue the second painted wooden slat on the back - you will do this the next day after the front has had time for the glue to completely dry.
 
Again, lay the chair flat to glue.
 
Then glue the timer on the back.  The timer has a little stand on the back - so just twist it off and glue really good.
 
 
The last thing to do is make you a cushion for your chair.  Use your inspiration fabric and trace the seat of the chair off on newspaper.  Add a seam allowance and cut out a front and back and 2 layers of batting.  Sew around three sides leaving the back/top side open.
 
Make straps approximately 1" wide and using Velcro, attach them to the straps.  This way, should your cushion get dirty, you can take it off and wash it.
 
Now, when your little darling misbehaves (remember, I told you Laynee does not need one of these), you can sit them in the Time Out chair and set the timer for the allotted time.  I remember from teaching Sunday School to small children, one thing they always told us in conferences was never make a child sit any longer than their age, i.e. 2 years old = 2 minutes.
 
Hope you enjoy this and have someone special to make one for.
 
Till next time, Judy
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore your Time Out chair. I have no use for it other than to pretend I could sit my husband on it for a while. Great Job!!! Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to pass this idea on to our daughters. I love the idea of the timer on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable idea, Judy, and so easy! I'd even use for a child's table, minus the time out! Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a little too much fun for time out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like so much fun I'd want to be in TIME OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha. How darling is that! I can see kids doing naughty things just to get a chance to sit on the timeout chair! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is adorable! So cute! As usual, very creative! When do you leave for your trip? Hope you have a wonderful time!

    Cheery wavef rom
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a couple of little Darlings I could use this for when they come to MeMe's house...I see a trip to Ikea in the very near future! Thanks for the wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Judy, what a wonderful idea. I love all the changes you made to the chair.
    Have a great weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your little chair - so cute x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry I'm so late in thanking you for stopping by, we had a wedding last Saturday and I posted about it if you would like to take a peek!

    I love the Time Out chair so adorable!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...