Friday, January 10, 2014

Nostalgia

 
This is a project I did MANY years ago but thought I would share with you today.
 
It is a shadowbox created out of nostalgic items from my husband's and son's childhoods.
 
It is a wooden, deep shadowbox in which I painted the toy shop painting on five layers of glass.
 
 
Excuse the blurry photo but it is five layers of glass and who knows how many years old.  I did attempt to clean the glass but you'll see lots of smudges that apparently are on the inside.
 
The five layers of glass make the painting look very dimensional. 
 
 
In the side and bottom compartments, I added some old newsprint to the back side and then inserted special mementos of their childhood.
 
The watch is a Hopalong Cassidy watch and is from my husband's childhood as well as the vintage blocks and marbles.
 
My son was a real avid Hot Wheels collector and also a Double Bubble gum chewer, so in those went.
 
 
The bottom compartment contains a miniature, vintage little gun, a set of white bone china horses and Johnny's silver belt buckle.  He was always really into horses as a child and part of his adult life.
 
In the right compartment is a glass hen dish.  My Mother collected these and they were his when she passed away.  Anytime he saw one, he had to have it for his collection.  A miniature coal oil lamp, a wooden nickel from Dodge City, Kansas and a teensy knife complete the collection.
 
I probably need to take it all apart and clean it real well, but haven't done so yet.  It is a piece of my guys' past.
 
Enjoy!
 
Till next time, Judy
 
 
 

20 comments:

  1. Judy- What a wonderful old piece. I love the dimensional painting. You are a very good painter!!!! What fun to have all those things collected and saved and displayed. It is perfect! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great way to showcase those sweet childhood treasures! Sure beats digging through boxes in the basement when the nostalgia bug bites:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is amazing! Really amazing...

    And I'll bet that if you took it to "Antiques Roadshow" (tv), it would be worth money. You have vintage things in there. Vintage is collectable.

    I know, you're not looking to sell it. Just... I hope your son knows how valuable it probably is. Wouldn't want it to be "tossed" out.

    Thank you for sharing!

    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy, this is AWESOME!!! That's a real piece of personal nostalgia... and that's the best kind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job!
    Great way to preserve memories.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really are an amazing artist! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always loved shadow boxes and it takes a real talent to make them. Love it!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how special Judy. I used to have one that was my fathers with all of the things he used - comb, shaver, watch, etc. but I don't know what happened to them as its been so many years.
    They were the rage 25 years ago, maybe they will come back in. What wonderful memories.
    Hope your weather is better.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. So clever Judy, and really nice way to display your precious treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sweet! The painting on the glass is really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is wonderful, Judy! A real piece of social and family history, and such a treasure.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it:) Have a blessed weekend dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is really cool idea to display childhood mementos. I love your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A timeless treasure!! Painting on five layers of glass! That is way cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your shadowbox is a family heirloom, Judy! I love the painted glass.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet little thing and a great idea,
    fantastic work
    hugs Sif

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...